Sunday, May 26, 2013

Project 11: "Don't 'Cover up' "


Hi everyone! 
I am SO excited to join the group and help Robyne expand her generosity through Craft 4 Change.  To donate now not only in one county but TWO is just amazing! Would you like to hear about the first project for San Joaquin Valley? This is Project 11 or project 1"1" as I like to call it, because it is the first project for me in this county. I can't wait!

When I had my son over three years ago, I was a new mom.  I had worked with children for over 20 years but when you have your very own, 24/7, it is a whole new experience. It is exciting, scary, emotional, precious, I could go on and on. Of course, every new parent wants to do what is best for their child. I had always heard "breastfeeding is best" but I do know that not everyone feels that way. After having my son, while I had started out believing that this statement was true, I had started to have some doubts. "Breastfeeding is best" I would tell myself but it was not as easy as everyone made it sound.

Did you know, that according to the World Health Organization, that less than 40% of infants under six months of age are breastfed?  I didn't. 

Some facts:
      " * Breast milk is the ideal food for newborns and infants.  It gives infants all the nutrients they need for healthy development. 
       * Breast milk is safe and contains antibodies that help protect infants from common childhood illnesses such as diarrhea and pneumonia, the two causes of child mortality worldwide.
       * Breast milk is readily available and affordable.
       * It reduces the risk of breast and ovarian cancer later in life.
       * It helps women return to their pre-pregnancy weight faster, and lowers the rate of obesity.
       * Adults who were breastfed as babies often have lower blood pressure and lower cholesterol as well as lower rates of overweight, obesity and type -2 diabetes. "

However, even knowing this information, for some new moms, it is not as easy as sitting down, getting started and having things turn out perfect.  Support for new mothers in the hospital AND after their hospital stay is what really helps a struggling mother either feel empowered or defeated. Health facilities that support breastfeeding through trained lactation consultants and peer counselors are wonderful places where a frustrated or discouraged mother can turn for help.
That being said, I wanted to help out the facility that I turned to when I needed help.  Located in Stockton, Delta Health Care (http://www.deltahealthcare.org/html/breastfeeding.html) is a wonderful facility that provides this support to breastfeeding mothers. There are many incentives and types of encouragement for mothers to continue to breastfeed for as long as possible. The low stress atmosphere creates a comforting place where new moms can talk about their concerns.The staff here is warm and friendly and provide helpful advice to establish and strengthen that wonderful bond between mother and infant. So, what are we doing then?

We are going to be making nursing covers and car seat covers for the different incentives and giveaway activities they provide for the nursing mothers.  This is just one of the many ways to support and encourage mothers to come in for advice and to share their experiences with others, so that all mothers can benefit from this facility for help.

Below are a few pattern or ideas to help you get started.

Car Seat Covers:

This tutorial shows how to make a cover with pre-existing supplies,check it out if you are short on time but want to help or not that comfortable with sewing.

http://workmanfamily.typepad.com/our_life/2010/08/car-seat-blanket-tutorial.html

Nursing Covers:


I would like to kick off this project ASAP so how about.... today! As for a completion date, I was thinking maybe the first weekend in July if that works for everyone.

Deadline is July 7th!  July 31st COMPLETED

Thanks in advance for participating in this project, I hope you guys are as excited as I am to get started!
~Erika~

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments, as we read every single one. If you have any questions regarding our projects, please leave a comment or send us an email at: Craft4change@hotmail.com